Change of use Fire Reports
Do we need one?
This type of report is required if your development involves changing the use case of the building. Common examples include:
- Office to Apartment
- Warehouse to office
- Commercial to Residential
If you are altering an existing building, for change of use you may trigger upgrade provisions for the whole building. These provisions are in the Building Code and ensure the quality of New Zealand’s building stock improves over time.
Building Code compliance requirements are:
- If the change of use involves incorporating one or more household units into the building where there were none before, the council must be satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building (in its new use) will comply as nearly as is reasonably practicable with the Building Code in all respects.
- For all other cases, the council must be satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building, in its new use, will:
- comply, as nearly as is reasonably practicable, with every Building Code provision relating to either or both of:
- means of escape for fire, protection of other property, sanitary facilities, structural performance and fire-rating performance
- access and facilities for people with disabilities (if this is a requirement under section 118 or the Building Act)
- Continue to comply with other Building Code provisions to at least the same extent as before
If you have any questions about whether a fire report is required for your property, please contact us
What do our Fire Engineers provide?
We undertake a site inspection to assess the following:
- Existing Building Construction
- Means of Egress
- Existing fire safety precautions.
Once the site inspection has been undertaken we develop a Fire Engineering Design Report for the purpose of Building Consent Application which assesses the following:
- Building Use
- Occupancy Load Assessment
- Fire Safety Precautions
- Internal Fire Spread
- External Fire Spread – Where applicable
- Fire Service Access
Within the fire engineering design report, we provide recommendations/improvements required for compliance.