Non-Structural Elements (NSE) in a building are typically defined as permanent items that are attached to, and supported by, the primary building structure. They normally include the items listed below:
- Architectural elements such as exterior cladding and glazing, ornamentations, ceilings and interior partitions,
- Mechanical elements and systems including air conditioning equipment, ducts, lifts, escalators, pumps, and emergency generators,
- Electrical elements including transformers, switchgear, master control centres, lighting, and cable trays,
- Fire protection systems including piping and tanks, and
- Plumbing systems and elements including piping, fixtures, and equipment.