The St Paul’s Methodist Church was building in 1922 and served Remuera’s Wesleyan community as the first permanent place of worship in the suburb. The church is listed in Category 2 by Heritage New Zealand and also a Category B scheduled building in the Auckland Unitary Plan. The church is predominately brick masonry construction and featured a distinct tower along the street front elevation.
EQ Struc was engaged by the client to develop earthquake strengthening solutions to the church to enable the main hall to achieve at least 67%NBS. The strengthening solution utilises the strength of the existing building where possible while supplementing the weaknesses to ensure the design is cost effect and visually unobtrusive.
Key Services Provided:
- 3D point cloud survey of the building and production of as-built plans;
- Building investigation and material testing;
- Detailed seismic assessment of the primary and secondary structural members;
- Concept, preliminary and detailed seismic retrofit design;
- Building Consent, tendering, construction observation